Scaling Solutions to Better Our Society: National University System Presents at Thought Leader Summit ASU + GSV
National University System Chancellor Michael R. Cunningham and invited presenters will share insight on scaling initiatives related to workforce preparedness, PreK-12 social emotional learning, and online learning platforms designed to increase college affordability
San Diego, CA – April 1, 2019 – Education experts representing the National University System (NUS), a network of nonprofit education institutions serving over 45,000 PreK to doctoral-level students nationwide, will be presenting at the 10th annual ASU+GSV Summit – a gathering of global leaders in education and innovation – in San Diego from April 8-10. Discussions featuring National University System Chancellor Dr. Michael R. Cunningham and other NUS leadership and invited guests will range from the future of higher education to workforce education initiatives, and social emotional learning through the Sanford Harmony program, all of which are being expanded nationally by the National University System.
Dr. Cunningham - who has extensive experience in both the education and business sectors - will be a featured presenter on a panel titled Bending the Arc of Human Potential Through Radical Scaled Online Learning Models. The panel, which focuses on how the nonprofit sector is creating scaled learning delivery systems leveraging online models, will present Tuesday, April 9 at 2 p.m. in Harbor B Room of Manchester Grand Hyatt, San Diego.
The National University System, through its affiliate institutions of National University, City University of Seattle, Northcentral University and John F. Kennedy University, is dedicated to defining new academic pathways toward degree completion through cutting-edge solutions that meet the needs of adult learners and enhance workforce readiness. Dr. Cunningham will share insights on NUS initiatives that are being scaled nationally as part of a wide-ranging commitment to better society. These include:
- The national and global expansion of the Sanford Programs, inspired by philanthropist T. Denny Sanford – Sanford Harmony, Sanford Inspire, and the Sanford Institute of Philanthropy – which provide solutions for some of society’s greatest challenges in the nonprofit and K-12 sectors and are now reaching more than 6.5 million people.
- Workforce Education Solutions, an NUS initiative to support quality, affordable education customized to meet market needs and industry standards, designed to also offer credit for prior learning.
- The acquisition and expansion of online personalized learning aimed at lowering the cost of degree offerings. These include proprietary models being developed throughout NUS, including Precision Education and FlexCourse℠, a state-of-the-art learning management system, along with the recent addition of Northcentral University, a leader in online graduate degrees.
An overview of featured panel topics, speakers and timeframes offered by National University System at ASU+GSV is available at this agenda. Featured guest speakers include Frances Gipson, Ph.D, Chief Academic Officer at Los Angeles Unified School District; Eric Gurna, President and CEO of LA's BEST Afterschool Enrichment Program; Cindy Marten, Superintendent of the San Diego Unified School District; Dr. Judy Mantle, Dean of the Sanford College of Education; Chris Graham, President of National Workforce Solutions at National University System, and many more. Panel topics address the following subjects, which are being scaled nationally by the National University System:
Social Emotional Learning
NUS leadership, experts, and invited researchers and educators discuss ways social emotional learning is transforming society, including how NUS is scaling national partnerships to advance the Sanford Harmony social emotional learning program. These include:
- Trauma Resilient Afterschool and Summer Learning Programs: A Vision for Transformational Learning
- Finding a Network of Opportunity in LA Unified
- A Community Based Approach to Trauma and SEL
- Demonstrating Social-Emotional Learning in Grades PreK-6 Pupils and Concurrently for Their Teachers Through Impactful University-School Showcase Partnerships
- Expanding the Vision for SEL: Driving Toward Action Around Research, Policy, and Practice.
- Healthy Kids Learn Better: Why Social Emotional Learning is Foundational to Children’s Health
Fundraising for Nonprofits
Experts in the nonprofit sector will discuss the core principles of the Cause Selling approach, available through the Sanford Institute of Philanthropy, and featured in the newly-released, second edition publication of the industry-leading book, Cause Selling: The Sanford Way.
- The Power of Cause Selling: How to Solve the Nonprofit Dilemma, Stand Out from the Competition and Thrive in Any Economy
Innovation in Education
Education innovators highlight initiatives the National University System is developing to create tech-enhanced, personalized learning opportunities for students, and establishing workforce partnerships designed to reduce the cost and time to complete a degree. They are:
- Bending the Arc of Human Potential Through Radical Scaled Online Learning Models
- Precision Education: Delivering A Tailored Educational Experience to Each Student
- Leveraging Predictive Analytics to Identify, Engage, and Support At-Risk Students
- Radical Affordability: Strategies and Considerations for Delivering Low Cost Degrees
- Credentialing Workforce Training Programs: Degrees for Under $5,000 Per Year
The ASU + GSV Summit started in 2010 as a collaboration between Arizona State University (ASU) and Global Silicon Valley (GSV). It is now the industry catalyst for elevating dialog and driving action around raising learning and career outcomes through scaled innovation.
About National University System/Sanford Programs
Established in 2001 to meet the emerging challenges and demands of education in the 21st Century, the National University System is a network of accredited nonprofit education institutions serving higher education and K-12 students that includes National University, Northcentral University, John F. Kennedy University, City University of Seattle, and the Division of Pre-College Programs. The Sanford Education Center at National University System’s San Diego headquarters, was established in 2014 through the generous support of philanthropist T. Denny Sanford to provide innovative programs in the nonprofit and PreK-12 sectors. The Center, in coordination with universities around the country, is leading the national expansion of three initiatives: Sanford Harmony, Sanford Inspire and the Sanford Institute of Philanthropy. Learn more at National University System and Sanford Programs.